فلسطين مكس
هل تريد التفاعل مع هذه المساهمة؟ كل ما عليك هو إنشاء حساب جديد ببضع خطوات أو تسجيل الدخول للمتابعة.

حدّث مخك

البوابةالرئيسيةس .و .جبحـثالمجموعاتالتسجيلدخول

Why Should You Keep Learning?

اذهب الى الأسفل 
كاتب الموضوعرسالة
مارادونا فلسطين

مارادونا فلسطين

الدولة : الإتحاد الاوروبي
المساهمات : 460
تاريخ التسجيل : 30/04/2020
العمر : 27

Why Should You Keep Learning? Empty
مُساهمةموضوع: Why Should You Keep Learning?    Why Should You Keep Learning? Empty7/5/2023, 9:57 pm

here are very good reasons to always keep learning throughout your life. We know that there are some 1,400 new neurons that are born everyday in your hippocampus. You can see your brain's hippocampus in red right here. While this image here is actually of a growing neuron. You can see the expansion and the new linkages as it's growing. There's only a modest decline in your neural birth rate as you age. But unless your brain continues to encounter new experiences, which often means learning something new, your new neurons will die off before they mature and hook into that larger neural network. They're kind of like vines that languish and die because there's no trellis. In adults, new neurons allow us to distinguish between similar experiences and store them as distinct memories. This means that for new learning, as well as for mental health, it's important to help new neurons be born, survive, and thrive.
Play video starting at :1:15 and follow transcript1:15
Of course, we know that physical exercise is one of the most powerful medications we know of that helps produce new neurons. It's as if exercise scatters these sorts of seeds that become neural sprouts. Learning is like water and fertilizer that encourages the growth of those new neural sprouts. The younger you are, the more likely it is that anything you experience is new. As you age it gets easier to fall into a rut. Even when you tell yourself you are learning something new, it's often just a slight riff on something you already know. Learning that makes an impact on the brain often means going just a bit beyond your comfort zone. A useful way to allow new neurons to survive, thrive, and make those new connections is to do something truly new and different every day. This automatically presents your brain with novel experiences. These novel experiences can be as simple as using your left hand to brush your teeth if you're right handed, or just sitting in a different chair at the dinner table. This is also why travel can be so incredibly invigorating. It helps keep the brain tuned up, especially if you do your best to immerse yourself in the new culture and surroundings. Learning a foreign language when you're older may be especially worthwhile, because the areas of the brain that are positively affected by language learning include many of the areas that are negatively affected by aging.
Play video starting at :2:55 and follow transcript2:55
In brain terms if you don't use it, you can lose it, no matter how innate and natural your gifts may seem. Widely admired orator Robert Sobukwe who spoke so eloquently for the cause of liberation of black South Africans from the rule of apartheid was subjected to six years of solitary confinement in the same prison that housed Nelson Mandela on remote Robben Island. He could communicate with other prisoners only through furtive hand signals. During this terrible time Sobukwe could feel his powers of speech slipping away. Those who've spent extended periods at isolated locations with few opportunities to speak with others often find themselves stumbling through simple conversations upon their return to civilization. My husband Phil experienced this when he spent a year at remote Siple Station in Antarctica. Hobbies can also help keep us mentally tuned up, especially when those activities are combined with physical exercise. If you knit, sew, quilt, do plumbing or carpentry, play games, use your computer or read, for example, research shows you're more likely to have stronger cognitive ability as you age. These findings make sense. For example, measuring and cutting for either quilting or carpentry clearly help maintain your spatial abilities. There's also evidence that the more you keep up a learning lifestyle, especially as you grow older, the lower your long-term risk of devastating illnesses like Alzheimer's disease.
Play video starting at :4:37 and follow transcript4:37
Exercise, learning, and exposure to new environments can help create and nurture new neurons and synapses. These new synapses and neurons create what's called a cognitive reserve. When some synapses and neurons naturally disappear as part of the aging process, you've got others waiting in the wings that can take over the neural pathways and maintain your mental abilities. Researchers are uncovering new ways to help our brains maintain their youthful flexibility even as we age. You might be surprised to hear that action videos can actually be really helpful here. Eventually we may well see video games being prescribed by doctors.
الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة اذهب الى الأسفل
مارادونا فلسطين

مارادونا فلسطين

مُساهمةموضوع: رد: Why Should You Keep Learning?    Why Should You Keep Learning? Empty7/5/2023, 10:10 pm

As you might guess, online materials, and MOOCs in particular, are a fantastic way for adults to keep up with a learning lifestyle, whether they're learning for work or for pleasure. This is probably why MOOCs are so very popular. There are thousands and thousands of them out there. So how do you find the ones that are right for you, and how do you take best advantage of them? Here are some quick tips based on super-MOOCer Ronny De Winter's insights. Ronny's a freelance software engineer from Belgium who has completed dozens of MOOCs. First, define what you'd like to learn, either in the short term or more generally in the next two to three years. Next, find the MOOCs or other online learning options that best fit your needs. Class-Central.com can be very useful here. This is a website that has thousands of reviews to help you see what others think about courses. They also have useful rankings, like top 50 MOOCs of all time and features that allow you to search by subject. Before enrolling in any MOOC, carefully investigate the course outline, prerequisites, syllabus, and suggested weekly workload to make sure you can manage it. Schedule enough time each week to work on your learning. To play it safe, it's a good idea to arrange to have twice the recommended time available, just in case. Some people like to listen to videos at anywhere between 1.2 to two times normal speed. More advanced MOOCers can sometimes employ something called Fast-MOOCing. In this approach, you skim through the syllabus and slides before watching the videos. Then you watch the videos at up to double speed. Once you get comfortable doing this, it allows you to cover all the material more efficiently, which can be useful if time is in short supply. Whether you speed things up, though, can depend on the type of material. Some MOOCs on algorithms, math, or physics, for example, might be best done at regular speed. See how things go during the first week. If you you're not getting a lot out of the MOOC, stop taking it. There's no shame in stopping if you realize it's not right for you. Don't enroll in too many courses at the same time. You'll get more out of your learning experience if you study a few subjects deeply rather than many of them superficially. Most MOOCs are frequently repeated, so you can usually take a course some time later if it doesn't fit into your schedule. Use the discussion forum to enhance your learning and to get questions answered; but be aware, this can be time-consuming. You also do want to remember, however, that the more time you devote to active elements of a MOOC, like the discussion forums and projects, the more the material will stick with you. Any time you enroll in a brand new course, you may find it just a bit buggy. So if this bothers you, wait until a later offering. But first time courses can still be fun, so don't discount them altogether. And there you go, advice from the best with practical insights about getting the most from MOOCs. Happy MOOCing.
مارادونا فلسطين

مارادونا فلسطين

مُساهمةموضوع: رد: Why Should You Keep Learning?    Why Should You Keep Learning? Empty7/5/2023, 10:15 pm

So here I am. This is me, getting ready to go to work at my day job in Michigan. And here's Terry, taking a few minutes off from his day job in La Jolla, California. That's one of the great joys of MOOC making. Co-instructors can work together from afar. I'm just a typical Midwestern engineer, so it was kind of a shocker for me when I was invited to speak at Harvard about our MOOC, Learning How to Learn. I was even more surprised to arrive in Cambridge and see the room packed with Harvard and MIT folks, all eager to learn more about the secret sauce behind the making of our MOOC. Eventually I understood, at least partly, the reason for their curiosity; Learning How to Learn was a labor of love made for less than $5,000. Yet it had on the order of the same number of students as all of Harvard's dozens of MOOCs put together, made for millions of dollars with hundreds of people. This tells you something really important. Making good online learning materials is something anybody can do; but not everybody does it. Here are some dirty little secrets of traditional face-to-face university teaching. There's virtually no competition. Maybe Professor Smith is better than Professor Jones at your local university; but Smith's class is full, so you're stuck with Jones. At many universities, especially the world's elite, the attention goes towards doing great research, not towards doing great teaching. This is why university teaching sometimes just isn't very good. It's a statistical truism, by the way, to say that half of all teachers are below average as teachers. Also, professors become professors because they're good at showing off how much they know. This is often the opposite of what you really need to be a good teacher, where the ability to explain in simple, straightforward ways is vital. Lastly, university teaching is about filling a time slot - say 40 hours in a semester. There is no motivation to be more efficient, to find clever ways to memorably communicate the materials in 25 hours say, instead of 40. But online is a different world. It combines academia with Silicon Valley with a little bit of Hollywood - and there's nothing wrong with that. And unlike regular classrooms, the online world is highly competitive. The bottom line is if you had a choice between a class that taught the material and a class that taught the same material, but where the professor was also funny and brought you onboard with whimsical visual metaphors that helped you quickly grasp key ideas, which class would you choose? Universities can add real value to what you're learning by lending insight from research. Did you know, for example, that research has shown no teacher education courses have been found to have any effect on the quality of teaching? Professors can be nervous about the competition, so some can tend to disparage MOOCs and online learning. They'll say things like MOOCs are bad because they have a low completion rate. However, I would venture to guess that the real completion rate for textbooks; that is, that people have read every chapter and done all the problems, is far lower than the completion rate of MOOCs. Yet professors never say we should get rid of textbooks because of low completion rates. But back to the matter at hand. My point is that though universities can provide invaluable insight into whatever you're trying to learn, they're just not used to competition in teaching. So this is part of why there is such a range of quality in online materials, even from ostensibly top universities. In the next video, I'll give you some insight into how Learning How to Learn was made. This will help set the stage so you can better understand factors to look for in good online learning.
مارادونا فلسطين

مارادونا فلسطين

مُساهمةموضوع: رد: Why Should You Keep Learning?    Why Should You Keep Learning? Empty7/5/2023, 11:22 pm

[MUSIC] And here we are in my basement. This is where we video tape most of learning how to learn and where we're video taping most of Mindshift. Okay, so maybe the basement's a little cleaner than usual. You can see the fireplace mantle is on one side, the door is on the other. As I mentioned earlier, originally I learned everything I needed to know about how to set up a studio and how to edit film by searching things out online. I did most of the video editing for learning how to learn myself with some help from my husband Phil who is also the man behind the camera. It's not like I picked up editing in a second. It took me several months of messing around every spare second I could before I started feeling comfortable with the video editing program. This experience with editing taught me the great value that video editors can bring to the table in MOOC making. You can see, for example, the improvement in the videos in Mindshift versus those of learning how to learn because I'm now working with McMaster's great video editing team. Obviously not all MOOCs are made this way. But looking behind the scenes at our basement, and the scripting and editing process, actually gives you a sense of what's going on behind the scenes in a fair bit of online learning so you can make better decisions about what works for you. You can see the green screen here. It's just a cheap cloth on a frame that we bought online. You can see the rest of the basement around me. There's the teleprompter hood, the edges of the lights here and there's the fireplace and the edges of the room.
Play video starting at :2: and follow transcript2:00
How do green screens work? Well, I just stand in front of it like this. Then we crop using a video editing program to get rid of the stuff on the edges. Then we stick whatever background we want behind me, just like the weather person at your local TV station. I can be in the jungle or in the city. We can even just stick in an animation from PowerPoint. This is all a pretty straightforward process, although trust me, just like anyone when I first tried to do it, I had my share of frustrations. Notice the infinite effect that we simulated by just draping the cloth gently forward. You might be surprised to learn that even top notch MOOC making facilities that I've toured around the world often don't have a full length green screen. Why might a full length green screen be important? Because from an evolutionary perspective, things that suddenly loom closer to you were more likely to kill you. So motion that appears to jump closer as when you go from full body to half body on video, activates all sorts of neuro attention layers. Motion of all types, especially unexpected motion really attracts attention. The teleprompter is an interesting story. MOOC makers sometimes advise instructors not to use a teleprompter. This is because some instructors read like this, and their scripts are super pedantic. But the truth is, a good script allows you to carefully plan a MOOC so there isn't a wasted second, and if you review and edit the writing, you can get rid of most of that yucky academic sound. Writing a script gives a great chance to think about the metaphors and seemingly silly stuff that can help quickly convey key ideas. Here, in fact, is the script for Mindshift. Notice my instructions about what I'm supposed to do, or where the images are supposed to go. I can put the script into Word's outlining view. You can see the titles there for each video. Using the outline view allows me to easily rearrange videos as I'm writing the scripts and trying to devise the best ways to convey ideas. There are great books about conventional subjects, introductory statistics or psychology for example but MOOC making is a whole new world. It provides a new canvas for creative ways of teaching and learning. For example, a conventional MOOC on learning on how to learn might have had a week on the history of education, another week on theories of learning, maybe another week on how babies learn. Finally, there might be some information at the end on best practices for learning. There might have been one short video on neuroscience. Nothing too much because after all, neuroscience is complex. But in our learning how to learn, we flipped all that on its head starting from a foundation of neuroscience and using metaphor and humor to spiral the learner quickly through the key ideas. Great MOOCs can synthesize the material in a whole new way. In a way that hasn't previously been done through conventional class work, and that you can't get very easily through books. In our next video, let's take a look what to look for in well made MOOCs. [MUSIC]
مارادونا فلسطين

مارادونا فلسطين

مُساهمةموضوع: رد: Why Should You Keep Learning?    Why Should You Keep Learning? Empty7/7/2023, 2:12 pm

[MUSIC] The easiest way to decide whether an online learning experience is right for you is to check out an online ranking site. As I've mentioned before, I personally like to use classcentral.com. It has a smart way of comparing MOOCs across different platforms by letting you see people's reviews. Fun game-like aspects, and easy to follow course structure, and thoughtfully designed quizzes, tests, and projects are obviously important in any online course. But here are some other valuable MOOC making elements that can make a difference in how well you learn and how much you enjoy the learning process.
Play video starting at ::51 and follow transcript0:51
Research has shown that if you watch a professor on a video for about 30 seconds, you can get a very good sense of how effective that professor actually is. Amazingly, even as little as six seconds can allow you to form an effective snap judgement, in part based on emotional micro expressions that are too fast to truly register. Look for approachable, encouraging, fun professors who can simplify the material and make the hard stuff look easy. It may seem obvious that all professors should be this way, but they aren't. It turns out that when we understand something through a metaphor, we're putting into action the same neural circuitry that we use to understand the in-depth concept itself. Traditional teachers sometimes believe that teaching through metaphor dumbs things down. Smart teachers, however, realize that metaphor and analogy can help students get an initial grasp of the materials much more quickly. Good online courses often use lots of vivid metaphors and analogies. Incidentally, if you yourself can come up with a metaphor, the sillier the better, it can often help you understand even difficult concepts like those in advanced calculus. Did you know that equations themselves are actually just metaphors? That's according to Emanuel Derman, one of the world's greatest mathematical modelers. Whenever a metaphor breaks down, throw it away and then just get a new one.
Play video starting at :2:31 and follow transcript2:31
Online materials with humor can help activate addictive dopamine circuits of pleasure. It also provides the mental equivalent of a sort of ledge to temporarily rest on and regain your breath when you're climbing an intellectual mountain.
Play video starting at :2:47 and follow transcript2:47
In my experience, humor's much more important in online courses than in face to face classes. If you have a competitive choice between a class that presents the material and a class that is funny while it presents the material, which one are you going to take? Look for well done visuals that relate directly to the material. A little clip art is understandable, but it shouldn't all just be clip art. If the instructor can't take the time to help develop illustrations, it tells you a lot about how invested that instructor and their institution are in the course. On the other hand, just slapping a complex textbook image on the screen also just doesn't cut it. People learn differently from videos than they do from books. Complex images need to appear part by part. You'll learn better in the same amount of time if you're not hit visually with everything all at once. If intelligently done and not just done for style's sake, good editing keeps your attentional circuits in gear while adding to your comprehension. The best MOOCs showcase the talent of video editors and instructional designers. There will undoubtedly be many other approaches to MOOC making that you find very helpful. Please head on over to the discussion forums and let us know what you think some of these best approaches are. Please tell us some of your favorite MOOCs and why you like them. [MUSIC]
مارادونا فلسطين

مارادونا فلسطين

مُساهمةموضوع: رد: Why Should You Keep Learning?    Why Should You Keep Learning? Empty7/7/2023, 2:18 pm

There is one important aspect of learning, that we haven't yet touched on. Yet it can be one of the most important aspects of learning of all. That is mentors. Mentors aren't necessarily parent-like figures who spend many hours brainstorming and guiding you to your future. In fact, a mentor can be as simple as someone who says, or does, something that causes you to think and make valuable changes. Or, who gives you insight about your life. You don't even have to meet a mentor in person. It's not that mentors can, or even should, tell you what you should be doing. It's that mentors can help you view the world in a different way, so you can more easily discover and go in the direction you determine is best for you, not to mention that they can have ideas and context that can change your life.
Play video starting at :1:10 and follow transcript1:10
Our lives are filled with a wide variety of mentors who help us in many ways large and small. Even rude and mean people can be mentors to us since they can show us what we don't want to be like ourselves. And sometimes their feedback and thoughts although painful can be helpful in the grand scheme of things. Arnim Rodeck, for example, was an electrical engineer who made an enormous career change when he decided to become a creative wood worker, a craft at which he would eventually become world class. Arnim differentiates his mentors into two different types.
Play video starting at :1:52 and follow transcript1:52
>> Hi there, there are several type of mentors, the ones who actually pump us up and energize us, or the ones who actually could be much more critical and actually won't tolerate any excuses. They might be much more stern and demanding people but at the end of the day, the insight we gain from them is invaluable. >> Mentors can even be online nowadays. For example, in learning experiences as different as acquiring a new language or training a horse, you may interact with a mentor who lives far away from you. My co-instructor, Terry Sejnowski, also has some thoughts here.
Play video starting at :2:28 and follow transcript2:28
>> The brain works best with concrete examples not abstract aspirations. A good place to start reinventing yourself is to ask, who has had the most influence on my life and who has inspired me to start a new life?
Play video starting at :2:42 and follow transcript2:42
Influential mentors have motivated me to become who I am today.
Play video starting at :2:47 and follow transcript2:47
In high school, I joined the radio club and I learned electronics and Morse code. The radio club had tracked the Sputnik, the first satellite to circle the earth at a time when the US was taken by surprise. I was asked, what is your mission? We all have a mission in life but if you don't ask yourself the question, you may never find the answer. I still ask myself this question because the answer keeps changing.
Play video starting at :3:14 and follow transcript3:14
Asking yourself the right question about your life is half the battle, where do I want to be next month or next year? This will shape what skills you'll need and what steps you should take to acquire them.
Play video starting at :3:27 and follow transcript3:27
Persistence is a virtue. Don't let setbacks keep you back.
Play video starting at :3:32 and follow transcript3:32
Motivation can also come from working closely with someone who shares the same goals. Projects with short-term goals can focus the mind wonderfully. The persistence needed to achieve long term goals can be sustained by collaborations that are more like marriages.
Play video starting at :3:50 and follow transcript3:50
These relationships can be the most satisfying, choose them wisely.
Play video starting at :3:54 and follow transcript3:54
Mind shifting may mean re-evaluating your relationships, finding new short-term collaborations, and cultivating longer-term ones that take you in new directions.
Play video starting at :4:5 and follow transcript4:05
>> A word of advice, it's unwise to approach a person you don't know and ask them to be your mentor. This can put that person in an uncomfortable situation, after all they have no idea what your expectations of a mentor are. And truthfully, they have no idea whether you might be a fit for them. In fact, it's often better to avoid asking someone to be your mentor, even if you consider them to be a mentor to you. If the fit is right, a relationship will develop organically, and in the course of this relationship, you may only get tiny snippets of occasional insight from your mentor. But this can still be very valuable. Because while these snippets may take only a few seconds for the mentor to say, they can nevertheless have a profound influence on you and your career. So don't discount the importance of even the most trivial seeming exchanges with someone you consider a mentor. Finally, if it seems reasonable look for ways to make yourself somehow useful to your mentor. Just as they are for you. Ensuring that the benefits of the relationship go both ways will make it that much stronger. And if you've had a positive mentoring experience, look for ways to pay it forward by mentoring others in ways similar to the mentoring that has helped you. [MUSIC]
مارادونا فلسطين

مارادونا فلسطين

مُساهمةموضوع: رد: Why Should You Keep Learning?    Why Should You Keep Learning? Empty7/7/2023, 2:32 pm

>> My friend, Jake Taylor is a professional investor who also runs a website called Five Good Questions and online series dedicated to interviewing interesting authors and creating more inspired readers. Back when he was in business school, Jake won a long shot lottery to have lunch with Warren Buffett. Those six hours together with Warren Buffett transformed Jake's life. >> After meeting Mister Buffett, I couldn't stop wondering how one man had accumulated so much knowledge in one lifetime. I started reading everything I could get my hands on about him. And after about a decade now, I think I've finally unlocked what his magic is.
Play video starting at ::53 and follow transcript0:53
The truth is, is that although he and his business partner, Charlie Munger have incredibly high IQs, their real competitive advantage comes from all the books that they read. These guys are nonstop readers. If you want to be the smartest person in the room, it's pretty simple. Just read more than everyone else. Now [COUGH] and you may say, it is difficult to find time to read. But if you can carve out 20 minutes a day, that will lead to 35 books read in 1 year.
Play video starting at :1:22 and follow transcript1:22
So imagine yourself a year from now, when you've read 35 book, how much smarter you'll be? Now, think about yourself 3 years out and the 100 books that you'll have read over that time.
Play video starting at :1:33 and follow transcript1:33
All of this compounds out into a richer and more successful life with better decision-making all along the way. So if I could say, there was one hack, I would say, it's to read more than everyone else. >> One controlled study of well over 3,000 participants found that book readers have a survival advantage over those who read only newspapers or magazines, or who didn't read much at all. Basically, book readers showed about a 20% reduction in risk of mortality over the 12 years of followup compared to non-book readers. There's something about book reading that is especially healthy. We talked about the importance of metaphor in learning. Here's something to think about if you're trying to be creative, as well as knowledgeable about a field. Let's say that you're trying to understand the best approaches to investing. So you read all the most famous books on investing and many other books on investing, as well. What you don't tend to think about is that everybody else who's interested in investing is doing pretty much the same thing. So, the same input can mean much the same output. Meaning that you won't really have much of an advantage on everyone else. However, if you make a habit of reading not only within your discipline or subject area, but also devoting a little time to reading and learning something completely unrelated, at least it seems that way. You have a much better chance of bringing creative new approaches and ideas to the discipline through the metaphors that will naturally develop in your mind. This could be what else ends up giving you that extra edge. In this MOOC, we've placed a lot of emphasis on online learning, but don't forget the value of reading good books in helping you to keep up with life long learning. Do you have a favorite book or author who's impacted your learning, the quality of your life or your understanding of life and your place in it? Head on over to the discussion forum and let us know what you think, and learn as well from the top insights of professors. [MUSIC]
مارادونا فلسطين

مارادونا فلسطين

مُساهمةموضوع: رد: Why Should You Keep Learning?    Why Should You Keep Learning? Empty7/7/2023, 2:38 pm

As we learned in this final week, new neurons are being born every day in the hippocampus, the critical area of your brain for learning and memory. But new learning is needed to provide a trellis that allows these new neurons to survive, thrive, and grow. Learning can help keep you physically as well as mentally healthy both in your youth and your maturity. Without new learning, especially in ways that can take you outside your comfort zone, you can become inflexible and set in your ways. That's never a good idea. Of course, one of the best ways to keep learning is to use MOOCs. We even walked behind the scenes in MOOC making so you could be a better judge of how good online learning is created. Metaphors, humor, and great video editing go a long way to create optimal learning experiences, whether you're studying subjects as different as calculus or bonsai. And mentors, whether the type that pumps you up or the type that tolerates no excuses, can take your learning to an even higher level. Persistence is a virtue. Don't let setbacks keep you back. Sporadically check your internal compass by asking yourself what is your mission. We learned how important it is to use a good online class search engine like Class Central that allows you to compare ratings. We also learned about techniques like fast-MOOCing and balancing how many MOOCs you take. Well-done online learning can actually be better than in-class learning. The online combination of academia with Silicon Valley and a little bit of Hollywood can keep you interested and engaged in ways that regular face-to-face courses have trouble with. With online, you have more choice to find the best teachers and approaches. Of course, there are other great ways to keep up with the learning lifestyle. One of the best ways is to read a book. 20 minutes a day of reading can help you to be the smartest person in the room. Surviving in the new information economy isn't necessarily easy. Much disruption lies ahead in virtually every industry, but with disruption comes plenty of opportunity. This week, we've given you some powerful tools to help take advantage of those opportunities.
مارادونا فلسطين

مارادونا فلسطين

مُساهمةموضوع: رد: Why Should You Keep Learning?    Why Should You Keep Learning? Empty7/7/2023, 2:41 pm

[MUSIC] I was inspired to create this movie because I've had a second chance at life. Long after I was supposed to be set in my career and set in my ways, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to transform myself from a person whose only apparent talent was in language and the humanities. I began a new career trajectory that eventually led to my becoming a professor of engineering.
Play video starting at ::40 and follow transcript0:40
>> This book's subtitle is Break Through the Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential. This covers enormous scope, but especially when we delved into the science, a common thread became clear. People could often do more, change more, and learn more often, often far more than they ever dreamed possible. Our potential is hidden in plain sight, all around us.
Play video starting at :1:7 and follow transcript1:07
>> There are two overlapping aspects of learning and we've explored both in this MOOC. The first is to realize that mindshift, deep changes in life that occur through learning, is something that can be done at any age with any goal in mind. Well-made MOOCs and other dynamic learning experiences show us how powerful, fun, and even addictive learning can be. And importantly, life long learning also keeps our minds fresh as we age.
Play video starting at :1:41 and follow transcript1:41
The second aspect of mind shift relates to career. Career selection, career enhancement, and career switching. We've explored each of these areas and discovered a common theme. That background and training from the past that might at first seem entirely useless often proves valuable in your new job or field. These days, working behind the scenes in the MOOC making world, I'm newly inspired by all the changes that learners are making. Over and over, I see that people have the desire and ability to learn and change at every age and stage. Not only from the humanities to engineering as I did, but in virtually any direction. That's why we've also stressed that a really meaningful mindshift often isn't just about following your passions, but about broadening your passions. Reenvisioning yourself and the directions you can take, both in your private life and in your career, and then taking the steps as a learner to make this revisioning a reality. Since you've taken this MOOC, you undoubtedly have a thirst for knowledge. So I'm hoping that what you've learned here has widened the scope of what you thought you could do, and will help you broaden your passion for discovery. Learning can be an overwhelming pursuit. But it also provides a way for us to meet some of our deepest needs to live as full, vibrant human beings.
Play video starting at :3:18 and follow transcript3:18
It's been wonderful working with you as you've explored how to make your own mindshift. And I wish you all the best as you put this into action. But, of course, many people rebel against learning or resign themselves to staying where they are in life. What about people like these, you might ask? How can they make a mindshift of the sort we've been talking about? If we can leave you with one last message in this MOOC, it is this. Sometimes it takes just that one special person, a mentor, to unlock or reframe and reveal the unseen potential.
Play video starting at :3:59 and follow transcript3:59
>> And so, we hope this MOOC also inspires you to turn to others. To seek out mentors and also to be a mentor yourself for those who may have lost the passion for discovery. >> May your own discoveries open the minds of those you touch, so they too, can discover the joy and beauty of learning. [MUSIC]

Why Should You Keep Learning?
الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة 
صفحة 1 من اصل 1
 مواضيع مماثلة
-
» Learning and Careers

صلاحيات هذا المنتدى:لاتستطيع الرد على المواضيع في هذا المنتدى
فلسطين مكس :: أشياء ضرورية :: منوعات مكس-
انتقل الى: